Earth Hour at UAlberta
Embrace your competitive streak and celebrate the 10th anniversary of Earth Hour by getting involved in these fun events. Show your UAlberta pride by going head to head against other schools—all for the good of our planet!
Earth Hour Campus Challenge
Post-secondary institutions from across Alberta are teaming up to take collective action against climate change. Whichever school gets the highest participation (per capita) in Earth Hour wins the challenge. You could take home your own prize too: UAlberta participants will be eligible for 1 of 3 gift cards to Blush Lane.
- Make a pledge to participate in this year’s Earth Hour.
- Power down non-essential lights and electronics for one hour on Saturday, March 25, 2017 at 8:30 p.m.
Make a pledge
Deadline: March 25, 2017 at 8:30 p.m.
Students, staff and faculty are all encouraged to participate and help show that UAlberta is committed to reducing our environmental impact!
Earth Hour Race
Find a partner and enter this Amazing Race-style competition hosted by the University of Alberta, MacEwan University and NAIT. Participating will help you become more engaged in the environmental community while you overcome a series of physical and mental challenges.
Up to 30 teams of two (10 teams per campus) will take part in 15 different activities. The two fastest teams and the team who completes the most challenges will take home top prizes. All teams can enjoy refreshments, door prizes and an awards ceremony after the race.
- Must complete the race within four hours
- Must use sustainable forms of transportation between campuses (transit, walking, bicycling; personal vehicles are prohibited)
- One team member must be a post-secondary student, staff, faculty, or alumni within Edmonton
- Must sign a liability waiver and photo release form
Register a team
March 25, 2017
1–5 p.m. (race registration starts at noon)
Starts and finishes at MacEwan University
$15 registration fee ($7.50 per participant)
Register your team by March 20, 2017
Looking to volunteer for the Earth Hour Race? Email firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up!
Bow Valley College
Northern Lakes College
The Kings' University
University of Alberta
Kayleigh Wiebe, Project Planner