Sustainability Awareness Week 2011 ran October 16 to 23, 2011 and featured 54 events across three campuses. Over 8000 contacts were made with students, staff, faculty and community members.
In total, The Office of Sustainability partnered with 50 organizations— 37 on-campus and 13 off-campus. campuses. Over 8000 contacts were made with students, staff, faculty and community members.
A few highlights from SAW 2011 include:
• The Farmer’s Market, which brought fresh local produce right into SUB
• A Free Store that allowed people to donate and pick up gently worn clothes and other items
• Health Nuts’ Middle Eastern-themed cooking class
• A chance to see sustainable gardening practices during a Devonian Botanic Garden Tour
• A Sustainability Fair with over 20 booths devoted to sustainability on and off campus.
• A public waste sort of 24 hours’ worth of Augustana waste and recycling
• Bistro Vert, a local and seasonal meal at Campus St. Jean
SAW 2011 partners frequently engaged in collaboration with university departments, community groups and external sponsors. Collaborators included: Artist Response Team, Canada World Youth (Augustana Campus), City of Edmonton - Office of Environment, Christmas Presence (Augustana Campus), Edmonton Bicycle Commuters, ERA (Electronics Round-Up), Edmonton Transit System, Grand & Toy, The Way We Move (City of Edmonton), McCallum, National Film Board, Recycling Council of Alberta, and Waste Management.
Campus organizations that hosted events and supported SAW included AB Campus of Technologies, APIRG, Aramark, Association des universitaires de la Faculté Saint-Jean, Augustana Chaplancy, Augustana Food Services, Augustana Green Campus, Augustana Residence Services, Bibliothèque Saint-Jean, CABREE, Campus Saint-Jean – comite de development durable, Campus vert, CAPS, Department of Facilities & Operations, Earthwise (Augustana Campus), EcoCar, Energy Club, Engineers without Borders, Environmental Conservation Students Association, Faculty of Education, Health Nuts, iSMSS, Make Poverty History, Music is a Weapon, Office of Sustainability, Office of Sustainability - Academic Advisory Committee, Office of the Registrar and Student Awards, Parking Services (Hertz on Demand), Students Against Global Apathy (SAGA), Students' Union, SUSJ (Student Umbrella for Social Justice), Sustain SU, Sustainable Food Initiative, STAND, U of A Bookstore, Undergraduate Research Initiative and WUSC.
A big thank you to our sponsors!
ABCRC, Automatic Controls, Blue Source Canada, City of Edmonton, CJSR, ReLumen Engineering, McCallum and Supertint.