The sixth annual Sustainability Awareness Week ran from October 21 to 25, 2013. The week offered 56 sustainability-related events, tours and speakers running across four university campuses. By the week's end, 9,325 connections were made with students, staff, faculty and community members.
Highlights from SAW 2013
- The SAW 2013 Kick Off Event featured bicycle-powered music by Erin Faught, complementary local barbeque, cupcakes and beautiful, sunny weather in the quad.
- A tour through the plants and flowers of three different biomes at the Muttart Conservatory.
- Campus Saint-Jean encouraged green fashion with a clothing exchange.
- Many were thrilled to meet their childhood hero, John Acorn, on a personal nature walk through the Edmonton river valley.
Participants who visited three or more SAW events had the chance to win one of six eco-friendly prize packs. Each pack included a pair of Preloved mittens, a $50 Earth's General Store gift card, a round trip ticket to Calgary on Red Arrow and an Office of Sustainability water bottle.
Thank you to our partners
Coordinated by the Office of Sustainability, this week was made possible through the commitment, enthusiasm, and hard work of 33 campus organizations and 9 community organizations.
The Office of Sustainability would like to give special thanks to our two sponsors:
- Aramark provided a free local BBQ for 230 attendees of the SAW Kick Off event
- Red Arrow Motorcoach provided free round trips to Calgary as part of our Eco-Prize Packs
Our campus and community partners included: Health and Wellness Movement, Living Archives on Eugenics in Western Canada, U of A Council of Canadians, Sustain SU, Facilities and Operations, Department of Resource Economics and Environmental Sociology, University of Alberta Energy Club, EcoCar Team, Engineers Without Borders, CAPS: Your UofA Career Centre, Lister Hall Students' Association, Student Umbrella for Social Justice, University of Alberta Museums, Undergraduate Research Initiative, Environmental and Conservation Sciences Students Association, CABREE, APIRG, Royal Alberta Museum, EcoStyle Student Association, Healthnuts, Augustana Campus' Learning & Beyond and Campus Saint-Jean's Campus Vert.