Sustainability Awareness Week 2012 ran October 29 to November 2 and featured 49 events across three campuses. Over 7,700 contacts were made with students, staff, faculty, and community members.
In total, the Office of Sustainability partnered with 58 organizations— 35 on-campus and 23 off-campus. This week would not be possible without all of those involved, and we would also like to recognize our two sponsors – ARAMARK and the School of Energy and the Environment.
Highlights from SAW 2012
- The SAW 2012 Kick Off Event that took over Quad on a snowy day and featured a bicycle powered concert and complementary local barbeque, cupcakes among other things.
- Augustana Campus hosted their annual community-wide free-swap that allowed people to donate and pick up gently-worn clothing and other items.
- Health Nuts’ sustainable cooking class where participants not only learned cooking skills but were able to experience the use of sustainable ingredients.
- A chance to take a tour of the world class Edmonton Waste Management Centre of Excellence.
- The Campus Food Bank’s largest annual food drive, Trick-or-TrEAT, sent volunteers out to collect food donations on Halloween from houses within the community surrounding campus.
- Campus Saint-Jean hosted Bistro Vert, which featured a sustainable dinner from which the proceeds were put towards preservation of South American Rainforests.
For SAW 2012, the Office of Sustainability collaborated with many community groups and external sponsors.
Collaborators included: Alberta Beverage Container Recycling Corporation, Alberta Clean Technology Industry Alliance, Artist Response Team, Alberta Social Economy Research Alliance, Canadian Centre for Community Renewal, Canadian Solar Industries Association, City of Edmonton – Office of Environment, City of Edmonton – Transportation, Computers for Schools, Edmonton Area Land Trust, Edmonton Bicycle Commuters’ Society, Edmonton Transit System, Edmonton Waste Management Centre of Excellence, Goodwill Industries of Alberta, Grand & Toy, McCallum Printing Group Inc., Music is a Weapon, Net Impact Edmonton, Royal Alberta Museum, Shanked Computer Recycling Inc., Telus World of Science, Waste Management, and Xerox.
University of Alberta organizations that hosted events and supported SAW included: AB Campus of Technologies, APIRG, Aramark, Augustana – Learning and Beyond, Augustana Chaplancy, Campus 2 Campus Connection, Campus Food Bank, Campus Saint-Jean, Campus Vert, Canadian Centre for Corporate Social Responsibility, CAPS: Your U of A Career Centre, Eco Car, Earthwise, End Malaria Initiative, Energy Club, Engineers without Borders, Environmental Conservation Students Association, Environmental Law Students’ Association, Environmental Research & Studies Centre, Health and Wellness Movement, Health Nuts, La Carotte, UAlberta’s Net Impact, Nutrition and Food Sciences Students’ Association, School of Energy and the Environment, Students’ Union, Sustain SU: The Student Sustainability Service, Supply Management Services, Work and Learning Network, Centre for Applied Business Research in the Energy and the Environment, Office of Sustainability, Undergraduate Research Initiative, Energy Management and Sustainable Operations, World University Services of Canada.
A big thank you to all of our collaborators, event hosts and sponsors!