The University of Alberta is committed to measuring, monitoring and reporting on our sustainability performance and using this information to continually improve all aspects of sustainability across our institution.
The University of Alberta is a charter member of the Sustainability Tracking, Assessment & Rating System™ (STARS™). This is a voluntary self-reporting framework developed by the Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education. It is used to recognize and gauge progress towards sustainability. STARS™ helps our institution:
- Track and report on our sustainability performance
- Facilitate information sharing and access to information about our sustainability practices
- Enable meaningful comparisons over time of our performance using a common set of measurements developed by the campus sustainability community
- Create incentives for continual improvement toward sustainability
- Build a stronger culture of sustainability
While STARS™ is our preferred system for sustainability reporting. We also profile our progress through the International Sustainable Campus Network and the Partnership for SDGs.
Did You Know?
In October 2014, the University of Alberta received a STARS gold rating from the Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education. Read our report.